TDA has let us know the rest days and locations for our trip. They match exactly with locations for the 2012 trip. I recorded a schedule and distances from that trip and hence expect riding distances will be similar this year:
- 25 days – 0 km riding (with an extra rest day added in Aswam)
- 2 days – <50km riding; both of these total 20km and are otherwise on the Aswan Ferry
- 1 day – 50km to 69km riding
- 10 days – 70km to 89km riding
- 21 days – 90km to 109km riding
- 22 days – 110km to 129km riding (median distance is 125km)
- 19 days – 130km to 149km riding
- 13 days – 150km to 169km riding
- 7 days – >170km riding
Those keeping careful count will notice that I am missing 1 of the 121 days. That is because TDA chose to take a bus for 185km across small part of Northern Kenya for security reasons. I hope this year the situation is better and we are able to ride that stretch.
It is a little daunting, not because I haven’t done similar distances on extended basis but more because we need to keep this consistently day after day on rougher roads and also because I anticipate being a slower rider and hence need to make sure I keep enough speed/daylight to finish the very longest segments.
However, that is all part of the fun and adventure!